The three additional bells will arrive at the church next Tuesday 3rd December at 11.30am where they will be on display for all to see. However in the afternoon they will be individually hoisted up into the bell chamber for hanging.
This will be the only opportunity to view the bells so please make a note in your diaries.
Some may wish to stay on to watch the interesting and somewhat dangerous way in which they are manpowered from ground floor through the first floor trapdoor into the bell chamber! Eric Roberts – Tower Captain
The story so far from … John Taylor & Co Bell Foundry, Loughborough
St Peter’s parish church houses a ringable three, with a tenor bell weighing 8 cwts. The bells were last rehung in a new cast iron and steel bellframe by Taylor’s in 1939, when two of the bells were recast. The parish placed an order to augment the ring to six, with a new treble in memory of John Jelley, and two ex-Keltek bells. All new fittings will be provided and the bellframe will be extended to accommodate the new bells. A new rope guide will be manufactured and installed to make the bells easier to handle. The new treble bell’s mould is complete and it has been cast. This bell is being presented by the Keltek Trust in memory of John Jelley.
The extension bell frame is being manufactured, and new iron lowside frame castings have been founded and fettled prior to construction.
The two Keltek bells and the newly cast treble have been tuned and fitted with their headstocks.